The Morning Paris Spoke to Me

Did it ever happen to you? No matter how far you've come, how much you've achieved, or how much life you've lived, there are moments when a memory returns with an unexpected heaviness. It makes you pause, question yourself, and wonder about the person you were and the person you've become.

Perhaps it happens after a loss. Perhaps while reconstructing yourself amidst the expectations of the world. Or perhaps it is simply time asking us to stop, reflect, and learn.

But do we?

When this happens, I close my eyes.

And I go back to January 1, 2020.

A café in Bastille, Paris. A winter morning and Edith Piaf playing softly somewhere from the café in the background.

I had intended to spend a slow morning by myself. After changing subway lines more times than I can remember, I simply wandered around Bastille. By letting Paris charm me. It was gloomy and bitterly cold for a New Year's tourist. There were churches, street musicians, Parisian restaurants, and hurried footsteps. That unmistakable mixture of elegance and everyday chaos.

Eventually, I found a café.

An elderly couple, perhaps in their late seventies, were sitting near the entrance. They were quietly sipping their morning coffee. The gentleman looked at me and wished,

“Bonne Année, mademoiselle!”

As someone whose French vocabulary was barely enough, I returned the greeting with far more enthusiasm. In that moment- a greeting from a stranger was more assuring than a warm coffee. 

For a moment, the Parisian New Year felt wonderfully warm.

I ordered a hot chocolate and sat outside, almost directly opposite the couple. There in the cold Parisian morning, I began reflecting on life—the life I could choose to live, the mistakes I had made during the previous year, and all the things I hadn't yet figured out.

Everything felt strangely numb. Not sad. Not happy. Just suspended somewhere between the two.

Then the music triggered my ear.

From somewhere inside the café came Edith Piaf's unmistakable voice:

“Non, je ne regrette rien.”

The song, the warmth of the cocoa between my hands, the smoke rising into the winter air, the elderly couple quietly enjoying their morning, and Paris unfolding around me. It all seemed like a moment of awakening.

Perhaps some moments are not meant to be explained. Perhaps they are simply meant to be remembered.

Whenever life becomes a little too loud, I close my eyes and return to that café in Bastille. For a few quiet minutes, I am there again.

Sipping hot cocoa and Piaf singing for me...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to Daniel Craig

Closing the Bumble Window

Juan Antonio & Few Boring Words